If I’m a 10% managing member of an LLC, how do I protect myself from possible IRS fines since my partner has failed to file this year’s tax returns?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a 10% managing member of an LLC, how do I protect myself from possible IRS fines since my partner has failed to file this year’s tax returns?

He also missed the extension deadline. At this point I have no way to make him perform.

Asked on October 1, 2014 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You might not be able to protect yourself from fines, since the obligation to file tax's on time is an absolute one--there is no exception, for example, for a another partner's (even a majority owner's) failure to file. This is not to say that the IRS might not take the circumstances into account and be lenient than they would be otherwise, but that is discretionary on their part. You need to get the tax filings done; you also need to look into *why* your partner has been so late--did he embezzle money and is trying to hide it? Did he lose the money in bad investments? Did he pay his own personal expenses with LLC funds? Etc.--while it's not a given that there is something going on beyond simple incompetence or laziness, or a deep-seated aversion to math and paperwork, you have to assume that there's at least a chance that the failure to file is simply a symptom of some larger wrong or problem. You should speak with a tax attorney right away about not just dealing with the IRS, but also about taking steps to determine what is going on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption