I am 19 years old and was charged with possession of alcohol while camping is there anyway to get this off my record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am 19 years old and was charged with possession of alcohol while camping is there anyway to get this off my record?

I am 19 years old and was charged with possession of alcohol while camping
on an island between Minnesota and Wisconsin I am a Minnesota resident.
The Federal officer pulled up and asked us if we had been drinking but did
not specify alcohol, we all responded yes. He did not breathalyze us, even
though we asked to be. We had alcohol present on our campsite, which he
confiscated. Is there a way to get this thrown out or to not have the charge
put on my record via community service, etc..?

Thank you

Asked on June 27, 2016 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your case does have the potential to be dismissed depending on the total offense report that is lodged against you.   Depending a few more details and how the officer has the report worded, then you may be able to get the detention and search thrown out (and thereby any evidence) on the basis that the office did not have probable cause. 
Assuming that the investigation cannot be suppressed... you still may be able to get this off your record.  Many jurisdictions have programs where you can basically 'earn' a dismissal by doing community service and complete an alcohol education program. 
Either option is doable... but both are challenging if you are representing yourself.  I strongly recommend that you hire an attorney to assist you with the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption