What are my legal options on gaining emancipation as a 17 year old mother?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options on gaining emancipation as a 17 year old mother?

I no longer want to live with my adopted mother. The household is to stressful. The baby’s father and I wish to get married but she won’t let me marry him because it will stop the checks that she receives from adoption services.

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Congratulation on the birth of your child.  I can understand that this may be a very stressful time.  Oregon is a state that does indeed have a set of laws recognizing the right of a child at least 16 years old to file for emancipation.  Generally you need "a plan" for supporting you and your child that does not include public assistance.  A place to stay, a job a method of support, a plan for attending school, etc.  Here is the law:

§ 419B.558¹

Entry of judgment of emancipation

(1) The juvenile court in its discretion may enter a judgment of emancipation where the minor is at least 16 years of age and the court finds that the best interests of the minor will be served by emancipation. In making its determination, the court shall take into consideration the following factors:

(a) Whether the parent of the minor consents to the proposed emancipation;

(b) Whether the minor has been living away from the family home and is substantially able to be self-maintained and self-supported without parental guidance and supervision; and

(c) Whether the minor can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the court that the minor is sufficiently mature and knowledgeable to manage the minors affairs without parental assistance.

(2) Upon entry of a judgment of emancipation by the court, the applicant shall be given a copy of the judgment. The judgment shall instruct that the applicant obtain an Oregon drivers license or an Oregon identification card through the Department of Transportation and that the Department of Transportation make a notation of the minors emancipated status on the license or identification card.

(3) An emancipated minor shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the adult courts for all criminal offenses. [1993 c.546 §136; 2003 c.576 §452]

Also look here:


Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption