What to do if I am 17 years old and want to be emancipated?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am 17 years old and want to be emancipated?

If I am 17 years old, finishing my senior year in school. I have a job, pay for my bills and buy all my clothes and my needs. Can I get emancipated without telling my parents? They have trouble with money and cant pay towards anything for me, so I think what is best for me is to get emancipated.

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, your parents have to be served with any petition for emancipation. The time period to get a petition in order and heard is complicated and time consuming. Declarations from teachers and the like are needed. Since you are 17 years of age, it might just be worth while to wait until you are out of high school and have graduated from high school. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney about your matter and how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption