What to do if I agreed on splitting the rent with my roommates but the apartment turned out to be different form what we discussed?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I agreed on splitting the rent with my roommates but the apartment turned out to be different form what we discussed?

I just moved into a 3 bedroom apartment. There are 4 tenants, 2 of whom are sharing a room. The rent was basically split 3 way for 3 rooms, so the 2 who are sharing a room are each paying half of what I pay. Supposedly, none of us saw the apartment before we moved in. My 3 roommates lived in the same building, and we were told that this apartment would be basically the same only larger. However, the two who are sharing have a room 3 times of my and the other tenant’s rooms. The rent split reflects a different perception of the apartment. They won’t budge. Can I do something?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you would like to have everyone pay the same, correct?  But here they do share a room and that does deserve to have some consideration.  You are going to have to come up with some compromise for all to agree upon.  It may not be tp split it per person.  You have not mentioned if you are all on the lease together or what your situation is.  That may be an answer for you.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption