UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I was injured in an
accident and they
have legal counsel
going after the
insurance company
for me already and
I was wondering
could I sue the
people personally
on top of that

Asked on June 13, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, to the extent that you have not been compensated for costs, injuries, lost wages, etc. by insurance (whether your insurance or someone else's, or whether auto or health/medical), you can sue a person you believe to be at fault (as this driver appears to be at fault). You can only sue for amounts you are not receiving from an insurer, since you cannot be double paid or recover twice for the same costs, damage, or injury. So say that your insurance has paid your car and medical costs, but nothing for lost wages or pain and suffering--you could sue for those things. Say that your insurance is paying everything but a deductible--in that case, you could only sue for the deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption