Husband stopped alimony payments – I have not remarried

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Husband stopped alimony payments – I have not remarried

Husband stopped alimony 5+ yrs ago when child support ended – He was in arrears & we settled, however, alimony should have continued – Do I need to reopen the case & How? Is this now a private matter & do i have to hire a lawyer?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Family Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you're going to have to hire a lawyer.  One place to look for a qualified attorney in your area is our website,

Child support and alimony aren't the same, of course.  There are a lot more resources in the system to help enforce child support, because children can't help themselves.  But the court should still enforce your alimony rights, you'll just have to pay the freight for presenting the case yourself -- although if your ex husband can afford it, you might get the court to order him to at least chip in on your attorney's fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption