If my husband sold our house after our divorce behind my back and now won’t give any money, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband sold our house after our divorce behind my back and now won’t give any money, what can I do?

According to the stipulation, we were supposed to agree on the buyer and the amount. I had no idea that the house has been sold and now he says that I don’t deserve any money, however I’m supposed to get half.

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for breach of the stipulation, which is enforceable. A court can order him to pay you half the money and even, if it deems he accepted an unreasonable deal (e.g. sold it for a low price to a buddy or even just to spite you), possibly give you more than half. Speak with a family law or divorce law attorney about the situation; bring a copy of the stipulation with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption