What to do if my husband may or may not be married to someone else?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband may or may not be married to someone else?

I understand that my husband is still married to someone else in another state. The woman is apparently working to finalize the divorce. I didn’t know any of this. The problem is when he and the woman got married, he was in the process of divorcing yet another woman, his 2nd wife, in the same state. His divorce wasn’t finalized until 5 years ago yet he married the 3rd woman 2 years before that (I’m not sure if he and his first wife were divorced before he married his second wife). I’m trying to figure out if the marriage between he and the 3rd wife is valid. I am the 4th wife. I am also trying to find out if my marriage is valid. If I wanted to divorce him, do I need to go through the divorce stage or is my marriage even valid?

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I'll just address your marital situation. Since your husband was already married when he "married" you, your union was not legal. This means that your "marriage" it is null and void. In other words, it's as though you were never married. Accordingly, you need not file for divorce. However, to clarify your legal postion, you should consider filing for an annullment. For further information, you can contact a local divorce attorney and consult with them directly about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption