IfI hurt my knee due to a store’s negligence, what should Ido?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI hurt my knee due to a store’s negligence, what should Ido?

Today I was walking through a department store and the toe of my boot got caught in the carpet that was sticking up out of the ground. My left knee has been hurting since. I’m in physical therapy for my knees right now but today after tripping it has caused me alot of pain in my left knee. I made a claim with store but now im not sure what to do. This is obviously going to set me back in physical therapy and now physical therapy cost. should they have to pay?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

When you complete your medical treatment for your left knee and are released by the doctor or when you reach a point where you are permanent and stationary which means the doctor does not anticipate further improvement, obtain the medical report and medical bills.  The medical report will document the nature and extent of your injury and will determine the amount of compensation you receive for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Your claim should include the medical reports, medical bills, any wage loss due to your injury and compensation for pain and suffering.  The problem however is that you had a pre-existing injury and the amount of compensation you receive might depend on whether or not a portion of your injury and damages (the amount you are seeking to recover) can be determined to have been caused by the incident in the store. 

File your claim with the store's insurance carrier.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the store's insurance carrier, you can file a lawsuit for negligence against the store.  Unless the case is settled with the insurance carrier, you will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of  the statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption