How would I go about suing an ex-roommate for rent if their refusal to pay ultimately affected my credit?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How would I go about suing an ex-roommate for rent if their refusal to pay ultimately affected my credit?

Roommate chose not to honor agreement to pay half of rent for remaining 3 months of lease and ultimately skipped town. Both of our names were on the lease but since they were unable to locate her, the burden fell on me and my credit. I finally finished paying it all back but I want her to repay me back.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you do not know where your former roommate is, you will need to do a search to locate her. There are some online search companies that can assist you in locating her where you can buy a 24 hour pass to do the locate.

Once located, you most likely will file a small claims court action against her for the one half of the rent owed. Once filed in the local court house, you will need to have her served with the summons and complaint. The local court clerk can assist in the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption