How will in-patient treatment affect the outcome of my case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How will in-patient treatment affect the outcome of my case?

I am being charged with my second DUI in 3 months as well as a first offense DUS. I am currently waiting

for my next court date. I am hoping to get into an inpatient treatment program before then and I’m

curious how that might affect my court case.

Asked on January 25, 2017 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It should tend to make the prosecutor recommend and/or the court impose sanctions more towards the lower end of what is permitted, but they still must work within the range of penalties provided for by law. For your 2nd DUI, that appears to include at least 7 days mandatory jail time and a fine of at least $200. But since you could get jail of up to 6 months and a $750 fine, getting any reduction in what you might get is worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption