How will a Virginia traffic violation affect my Pennsylvania license?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How will a Virginia traffic violation affect my Pennsylvania license?

I was pulled over in VA on I-81 S for going 81 in a 65. The officer wrote me a ticket for

Asked on July 9, 2019 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The points should transfer, or at least, you should be assessed the number of points in PA that you would get for failuere to obey a highway sign. All states are members of a "compact" or agreement under which they share driving violation in formation and honor each other's tickets.
Given that you are already being given a very minor infraction to plead to, paying and accepting whatever points PA may assign is probably the best choice: you are unlikely to do better than that by appearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption