How will a drunk in public charge code that was dismissed effect my citizenship application?

UPDATED: May 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How will a drunk in public charge code that was dismissed effect my citizenship application?

I have not had a charge before or after that one incident and have not even had a traffic ticket for the last 6 years. Do I still need to include it in my application? Can I have it expunged and will that allow me a clean application? I have no credit problems, no debt, graduated with honors from a good university with a 3.8 GPA.

Asked on May 23, 2014 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were fingerprinted or arrested on the basis of that charge, you will have to disclose it if it is not otherwise expunged.  It should not have a negative impact on your ability to get naturalized but you have to disclose it because it will show up as a "hit" when you go to get fingerprinted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption