How do I verify a warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I verify a warrant?

I’m trying to find out if a warrant was resided or not.

Asked on February 15, 2017 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way is to ask the police. They can access their databases and will be able to tell you quickly and at no cost to you. However, if you do have a warrant out against you, you can be arrested on the spot. If you suspect that you have a warrant for arrest and you know in which locality it would have been issued, then go to the relevant courthouse; the personnel there will be able to tell you and you probably won't get arrested, at least unless the underlying crime is serious. Again, this a cost effective approach. Also, you can find out if you have awarrant for arrest by using an online website. All the public databases (anywhere in the U.S.), are now available to you, although there is a charge. Since they are confidential, there is no possibility of your getting arrested by using them. Here is a link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption