How to transfer a 13 share of a JTWROS?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfer a 13 share of a JTWROS?

I have 1/3 JTWROS on a property deed. How do I transfer my 1/3 to 1 of the other JTWROS?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So to clarify three of you own a peice of property as joint tenants with rights of survivorship and you wish to transfer your thrid to one of the other joint tenants, correct?  You would have to execute and file a new deed with new percentages listed.  I would caution you, though,    to speak with an attorney in your area on the matter just to be sure that there is not something that would prevent that or what the tax or legal ramifications are here.  It seems unlikely but check to be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption