How to sue someone for selling a bad car?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to sue someone for selling a bad car?

We bought a car from someone who told us it is was in good condition. They also told us the bill of sale acts as the title so we can get tags on the car. However they also failed to tell us the car can not pass emissions so we can not gets tags on the car or pass emissions. It have come to our understanding now that it is illegal to sell a car without a title and unable to pass emissions. What can we do? We need the title or at least our money back. Also, we want them to fix what work needs to be done to the car so it can pass emissions.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the car that you purchased, it sounds that given the emissions, title and repair issues you would be better off cancelling your purchase of the car based upon fraud (failure of the seller to disclose material facts to you) that had you known the true facts you would not have made the purchase.

Depending upon the purchase price, small claims court may be an option for you. If not, you should consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law about having a complaint drafted and filed in the county court house against the seller of the car and served upon him or her if the seller will not voluntarily return the money you paid in exchange for the return of the car.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption