How to receive refund for check overpaid by my bank or undercredited by the payee

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to receive refund for check overpaid by my bank or undercredited by the payee

I wrote a check to my dentist in which I accidentally wrote an incorrect and smaller amount in words than the correct amount I wrote in numbers. The dentist’s office said they were paid the smaller amount and asked for another check to make up the 500 difference, which I provided. I have now found that my bank paid the larger amount, so I am out 500. How do I get this corrected?

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Business Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Send them a letter detailing what you outlined above, indicating what the charge should have been, and with a redacted bank statement or website printout showing that both checks were paid, and for how much. (By "redacted" I mean white-out the accountant number and any transactions other than the two in question.) Ask for a refund (specify the amount) within a reasonable time (e.g. 10 business days).
If they don't refund, send them a follow-up letter with a copy of the earlier letter and bank statement; in the follow-up, state that if they don't refund the money within a further 10 days, you will be forced to file a small claims suit for it.
If they still don't refund, file the small claims case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption