How to receive back pay from employer?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to receive back pay from employer?

I have worked for a this trucking company since May 2017 and havent received pay
The amount owed is about 7000 I have proof of log books and receipts /work
orders or pay stubs . Please let me know if you could help

Asked on December 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue for the money: that's how you get money from someone who owes you and will not voluntarily pay. If you can convince a court that you did the work--and based on what you write about your documentation, you should have a reasonable chance of doing that--the court will order them to pay you. 
If the amount is higher than your state's small claims limit, you might want to consider "waiving," or voluntarily giving up, all amounts greater than the small claims limit and suing in small claims. Small claims court is *much* easier and faster for a non-lawyer; it is worthwhile giving up some potential money to stay  in it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption