How to obtain ownership of an abandoned alley between 2 properties?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain ownership of an abandoned alley between 2 properties?

Between my home and neighbor’s is an abandoned alley that has not been used by the borough in 30 years. Per the borough manager I can file with the county to have this property divided between my neighbor and I. He alluded to this process as a quiet title. Is this the correct method to obtain rightful ownership or is there another avenue such as adverse possession?

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hi there,

There have to be grounds for a quiet title action. It sounds like this would be a public thoroughfare, even though it's unused. Your grounds for a quiet title action are limited in such a case. Likely your most realistic course of action would be to have the borough transfer title to you and your neighbor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption