How to obtain my legal rights back after a felony

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain my legal rights back after a felony

I was convicted of a drug importation
charge felony back in 2003, I have not
been in any kind of trouble since then,
wanted to know if how can I obtain my
legal rights back

Asked on August 3, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Some states have procedures where you can have your rights completely restored if you go a certain period of time without any new issues.  Texas is not one of those states.  If you want full restoration, you have to apply for and obtain a full pardon.  These are not impossible in Texas, but they are very rare because it is up to the governor.  Many governors will not issue pardons because they think it fosters a perception they are week on crime.
If you were placed on deferred adjudication, then you could make an application for non-disclousre.  This is where the charge still stands, but the general public are barred from viewing the details.  This is very helpful when applying for employment in the public sector.  Only law enforcement and government agencies will be able to see it.
If the conviction was a bad charge and you think that there was something illegal about how everything went down, you could have an appellate attorney review your case.  If they feel there is a basis, they could file an application for a writ seeking to undo the conviction... which would effectively restore all of your legal rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption