How to obtain a judgement I wonin courts on my ex-wife after she wrongfully received child support when I had custody?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain a judgement I wonin courts on my ex-wife after she wrongfully received child support when I had custody?

I received custody on my son back almost 2 years ago and child support was to have stopped. Over a year later child services started taking funds back out of my paycheck. After several court dates, child support was stopped again 2 months ago and a judgment was placed against my ex-wife for the amount of $4568.00 that she wrongfully received. She had 10 days to respond. Never received the money and was wondering what I needed to do to obtain it.

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the court awarded you $4,568.00 against your former wife as a judgment, you now need to collect upon it. The ways to do so are to levy upon her bank accounts or garnish her wages through a wage garnishment against her for starts. You should also have an abstract of judgment issued against her and have it recorded with your county recorder's office.

There are forms online to assist you in this process. Possibly you might wish to consult with an attorney that does judgment collection work to assist you in the process in getting paid on the judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption