How to obtain a copy of a will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to obtain a copy of a will?

My uncle passed away on Nov. 19, 2016 in a Chicago, IL facility. Where do I start to
obtain a copy? He left a will and I was told I was named in it.

Asked on January 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Once the Will is filed with the probate court, it becomes a matter of public record. This means that any one can view it. If, however, there is a delay in filing the Will, you still can a copy. As a benefciary, you will be notified of your inheritance and can ask the executor if you can see the Will. If you are not provided with it at that time, then as an "interested party (i.e. as someone who might inherit as an heir if there were no Will), you can ask the probate court to have the executor provide you with a copy.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption