How to know if I am given something in a will

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to know if I am given something in a will

My dad passed and told me that he gave me some property before he passed…my mom is still alive and she has her favorite son to be her power attorney a long time before my dad passed, he is trying to give the property to someone in the family and I need to know, how can I get a copy of the will, can it be changed?

Asked on December 26, 2016 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Even if your father's Will has not been entered into probate, as someone who would be eligible to inherit as his heir if he died without a Will, you are what is known as an "interested party". What this means is that you can go to the probate court and ask that they order your stepmother to let you view it; you may want to consult directly with an attorney at this point. Also, once the Will is probated, then it is a matter of public record, so you or anyone will be able to see it and obtain a copy.

Here is a link to an article that will explain further:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption