How to handle a summons.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to handle a summons.

I have been summoned to court out of
stateIllinois for a past due bill of 800.
I can not travel to the court on the date
shown,March 14th and don’t no how
to proceed. I can agree to pay a small
amount per month towards the bill.

Asked on March 7, 2016 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should contact the court and inquire if you can make an appearance by telephone instead of being physically present in the courtroom.  If you are allowed to make a telephonic appearance, inquire which documents you need to submit to request a telephone appearance and the deadline prior to the hearing for submitting that request.  Also, ask about the court's procedures for calling to check in before the hearing.  Don't miss the filing deadline for requesting a telephonic appearance or your request will be denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption