How to get the car wash company to pay the side mirror they broke?

UPDATED: May 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get the car wash company to pay the side mirror they broke?

I went to get my car washed last week and my side mirror got broken. The guy who worked there at that time said the manager wasn’t there. He told me that the manager will call me in a day or two and get my side mirror fixed. I trusted the guy and for some reason I didn’t ask for any paper that I could keep as an evidence. I was so stupid. I haven’t got any call back and I’m afraid they are not going to fix my side mirror. Is there any way to fix this?

Asked on May 17, 2012 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if they broke the miror due to their negligence or carelessness, they would be liable to fix it.

Practically, if they will not voluntarily pay, you would have to sue them for the money. In the lawsuit, you would have to prove that either 1) they broke the mirror or 2) that they had agreed to pay for it. If you have no hard or documentatary evidence, just your testimony, this can be very difficult if their testimony refutes or contradicts yours--as the person suing (the plaintiff), the burden of proof would be on you to establish your case by a preponderance of the evidence. That means you would have to have more or better evidence, or be more persuasive, than them; if all things are equal, you would lose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption