How to get out of a sales agreement.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a sales agreement.

I believe this person is not reputable; I was ill and very stressed when I signed the purchase agreement. After

looking at it more closely, he did not even list his address or the legal description of the home. He sent me a check today for $100 earnest money which should have gone into escrow with a title company. How can I not sell and what could be the consequences to me?

Asked on January 5, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your stress or mental state is irrelevant, as is your opinon of whether this person is reputable or not. What would matter is whether he has complied with the terms of the contract or not. If he has complied, then the contract is enforceable agaist you and you cannot escape it; if he violates any "material" or important terms of the contract, however, that breach would allow you to treat the contract as termiunated and escape it. So the issue is, has he done anything violating the plain terms of the contract?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption