How to get out of a vehicle scam?

UPDATED: May 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a vehicle scam?

We purchased a used vehicle only to have the truck die out on the way home. We asked the dealer to put in writing that he would fix any problems that may occur within 30 days, and he did but he conveniently withheld all of our paperwork except the bill of sale. When I called about the paperwork he said we needed to pay $130 more because of a loan difference and then he would send the paperwork in the mail. Also, the VIN is wrong on the bill of sale. What, if anything, can we do; we traded in our previous truck which we still owed on?

Asked on May 3, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your purchase of the vehicle that you have written about has resulted in problems after the fact where there were representations by the seller of fixing problems with it within 30 days after sale, I would immediately bring the vehicle back for repairs and clearing up of the vehicle identification number.

Follow up with a written letter to the dealer while keeping a copy for your future needs and reference. If the dealer refuses to rectify the problems you should do the following:

1. contact your local department of motor vehicles which is in charge of supervising dealerships in your state and make a complaint against the dealer.

2. contact an attorney that practices in the area of automotive law about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption