How to get name of car loan and title owned with an ex-partner?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get name of car loan and title owned with an ex-partner?

I own a car with an ex-girlfriend (same sex partnership, no marriage). Both our names are on the loan and the title. She’s driving the car and making all the payments. I want my name off the loan (meaning she will need to refinance the loan in her name) and I will sign over the title to her. She is unresponsive to my communications asking for this. How do I take legal action against her to resolve this issue?

Asked on February 6, 2012 under Business Law, New York


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may want to contact an attorney to send a formal demand to your ex girlfriend that she refinance the vehicle. She may be quicker to respond if she is under the impression that you are taking legal action.

That being said, it is a difficult situation.  In the current economy, it may be difficult for her to obtain refinancing on the vehicle.  That could be why she is unresponsible.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption