How to get exboyfriend off house deed

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get exboyfriend off house deed

My boyfriend left me the 15th of January and we own a paid for house with both our names on the deed. I owned the land before he moved in, we built the house I put 11,000.00 down and my father paid 50,000.00 to pay the house off two years ago. He is angry and refused to sign deed of to me and we have a minor child who lives in house also. What is my legal right? Thank you for your time Tammye

Asked on January 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He is a part owner: you can't force him off the deed any more than he could force you off. His ownershp rights, if he is on the deed, are equal to yours. If you can't work it out with him voluntarily, all you can do is go to court for an order requiring that the home be sold and the proceeds or profits (after cost of sale) be split between the owners; this is called an action "for partition," and if you want to explore it as an option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption