How to get emancipated?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get emancipated?

I am 17 years I have a newborn. I want to get married with my baby’s daddy but I can’t because he is from Mexico and my parent won’t sign.

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Emancipation can truly only occur if you are able to financially support yourself. In your situation, your child's father may not be the one to give you that financial support, especially if he is not a resident here. You need to probably wait until you are 18 and then you can make any decision you choose because at that point you would be able to marry without your parents' permission or written consent. Keep in mind, you may lose a lot of benefits that might be available to you should you choose that route. If you plan on getting a college degree, talk with your school counselor about options and financial programs so your child might be able to have day care while you are in classes. Those services may not be available post marriage but look at all of your options before you finalize any decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption