How to get driver’s license extension when on STEM-OPT pending?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get driver’s license extension when on STEM-OPT pending?

I’m currently on OPT-EAD which expired last month. I applied for a STEM-OPT extension last month. Recently, I moved WI. My out-of-state driver’s license expiring next month and the local DMV rejected to renew my driver’s license with an I-797C Notice of Action Receipt. I need to commute daily to work. The current processing times for USCIS are around 5 months.

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is a problem but there is probably not much you can do about it.  Perhaps you can try to speak with a supervisor at the DMV and provide any type of documention your school can provide to ease the process, but I know this is a problem nationwide.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption