How to get a copy of my parents’ Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a copy of my parents’ Will?

Parents lawyer and my sister has copy’s but will not give me a copy. My sister says she has the Will of deceased parents. She refuses to give me a copy and is selling and taking everything. I contacted my parents lawyer and asked if he has a Will of my parents and requested a copy. He said he did have a copy and to call him back in 2 days he wanted to make sure he could give me a copy. He will not return my calls. My sister lives in Oklahoma; my father lived in Kansas she hasn’t put it in probate. Can I get a copy and how? What steps do I take if can’t get copy?

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you can check to see if the Will was entered into probate. If it has already been filed, then it is a matter of public record, so you can request a copy from the court. If it has not yet been entered, you can still obtain a copy since in the eyes of the law you are an "interested party". This is someone who would have inherited if there had there been no Will (pursuant to something known as "intestate succession"). Therefore, since whether or not there is a Will affects your rights, you have "standing". This stake is sufficient to give you the right to bring a legal action to view your parents' Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption