How to get comensated for dr bills, pain suffering loss of wages?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get comensated for dr bills, pain suffering loss of wages?

I was working for a construction company as a 1099 employee and they don’t have any insurance at all. We were adding a 2 story addition to an existing house and I fell from the 2nd story and broke 5 ribs and multiple fractures to my pelvis. I have been off work for 3 weeks and no clue when I will be able to go back. How can I get compensated for dr bills, pain suffering and loss of wages?

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF the construction company was at fault in causing the fall, such as by providing a faulty ladder, or no appropriate safety equipment, or a co-worker doing something dangerous or stupid, then you can potentially sue them for your injuries (medical bills; lost wages; some amount for "pain and suffering") based on their fault. But there must be fault, typically found in the form of unreasonable carelessness: if the contractor did nothing wrong and you fell for reasons unrelated to them (e.g. your own clumsiness; a gust of wind or water from rain; etc.), they are *not* liable. Only an at-fault  person might be liable for your injuries; if there is not other person at fault, you have to bear your own costs, losses, and damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption