How to get a settlement regarding my stolen car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a settlement regarding my stolen car?

My car was stolen off of a lot and my insurance company denied complete car reimbursement per my insurance. I have the police report, the letter from my insurance stating that I had total car reimbursement but they still denied me. My vehicle was also totaled when the police department found it. How do I get

what I paid for?

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you had theft insurance and you believe that under the facts of this case, your insurer is not paying you the full amount that you are entitled to under your policy, you can sue the insurer for "breach of contract." An insurance policy is a contract: if you can prove in court the terms of the policy (which is simple: you show the policy itself in court) and facts that would require more payment from the insurer (e.g. using the police report, other correspondence, proof of the car's value, etc.), you should be able to get a court judgment or order requiring the insurer to pay. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption