How to get a refund from items purchased and not received from a company operating online and in another state?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a refund from items purchased and not received from a company operating online and in another state?

I purchased items from an out of state company that also operates online. I sent them a check for the full amount 5 months ago for the items and still have not received all that I ordered. I have emailed the company multiple times asking for the ordered items or a refund but I have not received a response, so now I’m not sure what legal options I have.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under General Practice, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you paid for the item that you have not received yet and more than five months have passed where you have e mailed the company multiple times about the item you purchased with no response, you should do the following:

1. send a letter certified mail return receipt requested with copies of all back up documentation showing the representative of the vendor that you in fact made the purchase setting a deadline to comply. Keep a copy of your letter for future use and need;

2. if there is no complianace with your demand, then your option is to sue the company that you made the purchase from in small claims court in the county and state where you reside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption