How to get a lawyer we’ve already paid to help us?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a lawyer we’ve already paid to help us?

We hired a lawyer to have my husband’s rape conviction overturned based on the accuser’s retraction of her statement via a notarized letter. He filed in the county we live in and the judge dismissed due to wrong jurisdiction. He said he was re-filing in the original county of the conviction and we’ve heard nothing from him for months now. He won’t return any of our contact attempts at all. This is in Missouri. He doesn’t have an office for us to go to confront him. What can we do? We just want this thing to be done with…

Asked on January 28, 2017 under Criminal Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact the Missouri State Bar and file a complaint against the attorney for abandoning clients and /or failure to communicate with clients.
A call from the MO State Bar to the attorney should prompt corrective action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption