How to get a collection agency to remove a debt from your credit report?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a collection agency to remove a debt from your credit report?

A collection management is reporting a negative inquiry to 3 credit bureaus about a account I have no knowledge about, and the timeframe appears to be when I was still a minor.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Carl Starrett / Law Offices Of Carl H. Starrett II

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Send a certified letter to all 3 credit bureaus disputing the debt and demanding removal of the debt from your credit report.  Send a copy of the letter to the collection agency.  Recheck your credit report in 30 days.  If they dispute has not been removed, consult a local attorney that handles claims under the Fair Credit Report and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption