how to fix my out of state bench warrant

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to fix my out of state bench warrant

I was arrested for driving on a suspended licence in 2009 never had a licence,
the week i was moving out of state due to a family medical emergency. For
financial reasons i was unable to appear for my court date, I tried calling for
and extension the clerk stated it wasnt possible. I dont know how to handle this,
and to be honest im too scared to just go back and turn myself in, i have a full
time job and responsibilities.

Asked on July 27, 2016 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Once you failed to appear in court a bench warrant for your arrest was issued.  While officers may not track you down in another state for this due to the nature of the underlying charge, if you are stopped by the police for speeding for example, you will be arrested and taken into custody on the spot. You may or may not then be extradited back to the issuing state. Additionally, if you are not extradited, you will still run the risk of arrest if you are again stopped by the police. Further, an employment background check can turn this all up. Bottom line, it will be better for you to turn yourself in and appear voluntarily. What you need to do now is to hire an attorney that practices in the court that issued the warrant, you will need then to return. Since money is an issue, see if you qualify for representation by the Public Defender's office or Legal Aid.  Also, check if there is a law school nearby to the court in question; they typically run free/low cost clinics.  Finally, contact the local bar association in the county where the proceedings will be held and see if they have a list of lawyerss who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption