How to find out if my mother is divorced

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to find out if my mother is divorced

Father left 25 years ago mom wants a
divorce and don’t know where he is

Asked on August 25, 2016 under Family Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your father filed for divorce, it may have been filed in the county court where your parents had been living at the time when your father left.  If you go to the court and look in the court's computer for either your mother's name under respondent or your father's name under petitioner, you can obtain the case number (assuming that your father filed a petition for dissolution of marriage).  Once you have the case number, give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  A file that old is probably in storage and not in the court files.  If the court clerk obtains the file, you can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy it.
If your father did not file for divorce, your mother can still file for divorce.  She will need to have your father served by publication since his current whereabouts are unknown.  Service by publication is running a notice in the legal notices section of the newspaper for a specific period of time.  The court clerk can tell you how long the notice has to run to be effective service by publication because that time requirement varies from state to state.  Service by publication is effective even if your father never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption