how to file claim for injury that happened a few days ago

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to file claim for injury that happened a few days ago

walking in the mall ..there was some liquid on the floor in front of a
store…we slipped and fell …however got up in a matter of
seconds…shook it of .,told the store employee to clean it up and
went on our way…however next day very sore and difficulty in
movement. it to late to file a report.

Asked on December 23, 2018 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file a report with the store, but that does not guaranty they or their insurer will pay you anything: unless you sue and win, all payment made to you is voluntary. 
Unless you have medical evidence (e.g. from a doctor visit) that you suffered some long-lasting (many weeks or longer) life impairment or disability, or miss a significant amout of work due to this, or incur large medical bills, there'd be no point in suing: for short term soreness or stiffness, etc., there is essentially no compensation to which you'd be entitled. So unless you end up discovering that this caused some serious injury, you would not sue. In that case, you could look to file a report and would take whatever compensation (if any) you are offered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption