How to evict a deadbeat husband from my daughter’s home?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to evict a deadbeat husband from my daughter’s home?

My 34 year old daughter is married with both parties living in the same residence. Due to a lack of support from her husband who is chronically unemployed and will not provide her with any of his unemployment compensation or any money from his plumbing “side” job income for living expense (ie. mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc) she is at her breaking point. She is providing for all of their combined living expenses and is struggling to keep her home, even after obtaining a mortgage loan modification he is on the deed but the mortgage is in her name only.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well, if your daughter does not want him there, she should file for a divorce.  In the divorce she will ask for the home.  Once the court awards her the home, he will no longer have any right to be there. 

In additon to filing for the divorce, she should file a motion for temporary orders.  In the motion she should ask for a temporary order for possession of the home.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption