How to escape risk of libel when informing employers of a criminal that went unreported

UPDATED: May 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to escape risk of libel when informing employers of a criminal that went unreported

If you know someone committed a serious crime before and they remain unreported, can you send a note to their employer to warn them? It wouldn’t be libel since it was true, but the courts do not know it is true yet.Not to say I don’t have faith in the judicial system, but If the crime committed was in the past and there is likely a lack of evidence, they could possibly rule innocent and then the note would be considered libel. No victim would make up a story of the kind I heard. False accusations are usually when the accuser has a specific motivation such as money or revenge. If someone

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your question is just a little too cryptic to answer.  You haven't said what crime was committed, how long ago, and how you know about it, to begin with.  You also haven't explained what work the person who committed this crime is doing, and why his employer should be warned.

You've got the important understanding here:  while truth is indeed a defense to libel, it has to be proved, and there are times when it can be very hard to prove what you know -- or think you know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption