How to enforce my ex-husband to obey a court order after our divorce is final?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to enforce my ex-husband to obey a court order after our divorce is final?

Do I have to take him back to court or can I file something through the court since we’ve already been to court an have divorced? He was court ordered to split half of the sales of our businesses and is not doing so.

Asked on April 21, 2017 under Family Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex in the state where the court case occurred and in that same court.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing date.  With your Order to Show Cause, you should also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts that your ex has not split half of the business sales as ordered by the court, etc.  You should also include any other supporting documents as evidence of your ex failing to comply with the court order.  Attach a proof of service (court form) to your documents and file them with the court.  Mail a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex with a proof of service to provide him with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.
Check with the court clerk before filing your documents and inquire if any additional documents are required to be filed for  contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption