How to declare my estranged husband dead?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to declare my estranged husband dead?

I haven’t seen or heard from my
estranged husband for 7 or 8 years.
How can I declare him dead so I can
move on and collect his social security
if that is possible. Any information
would be great. Thanks.

Asked on January 26, 2018 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation  I understand that for Social Security purposes you need the court to declare him dead to collect.  So it appears that in Nevada you would have to file an Administration of Estates of Missing Persons.  I will give you the link to the statute.  While the clerks in Probate Court can not give you legal advice, they are generally very helpful in giving forms, etc.  You will likely have to publish in a paper at some point.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption