How to deal with being married to two people?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to deal with being married to two people?

It has recently come to my attention that I am
still married to my ex wife. The thing is that
I have not had contact with her in 17 years. I
have also gotten remarried to my husband in
Massachusetts. I married my ex wife in
Kentucky. So I am wondering if I divorce my ex
wife is my marriage with my husband now still
valid. Or do I need to annul my marriage with
my husband first then divorce my wife?

Asked on August 4, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The first thing to do is to divorce your wife. As you are aware, your second "marriage" is null and void in the eyes of the law since you were still married at the time that you "wed" your "second spouse". You can then file for an annullment and then legally re-marry. Since this is a rather complicated situation, you may want to consult directly with a local divorce attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption