How to claim inheritance of Will from 23 years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to claim inheritance of Will from 23 years ago?

The Will designated $10,000 to go to my friend, however she only received 5k. The other half was to be distributed 6 months later. She lost contact due to living in Philippines and has

overlooked it since then. Is she still entitled to receive this other payment?

Asked on September 2, 2018 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

That is a long time ago and my fear is that the Executor may not still be around.  The funds should have been put somewhere for safe keeping but if they were in a bank account, they may have becomes unclaimed property in the state in which the Will was probated.  Take a look and the state's website to see if there are funds in her name.  Then try and see if there was a final accounting filed of the estate and trace the funds from there.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption