How to cancel or get rid of my Power Of Attorney?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to cancel or get rid of my Power Of Attorney?

Hello, I’m 32 years old, I signed for my mom to have poa over me when I was 17-18 years old. I no longer wish her to have poa over me, how can I get rid of having her as my poa?
Thank you

Asked on August 26, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Create a new document which by its terms revokes the old POA, have it signed and witnessed the way a POA should be, send her and anyone else who may have had copies of the old POA a copy of the new document, sent in some way you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail); and check with the clerk of your county court--if you can file the new document in court, do so.
A POA may be revoked in writing by a writing bearing the same requirments or formalities as a POA. That writing can be a new POA in favor of someone else, which states that it supercedes or revokes old POAs; or it can be a document simply revoking the old POA without granting a new one to anyone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption