How to become a conservator quickly?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to become a conservator quickly?

Several years ago an elderly couple has asked me to become the executor of their Will and I accepted it. The wife has since been diagnosed with dementia and she has moderate cognitive impairment. Her husband became until 2 weeks ago and the doctor gives him only a few week. I would like to be their conservator just to help with bill payment at this time and get some domestic help for his wife who thinks she is capable of doing what her husband did before this and adamantly refuses help. She is jeopardizing herself. What do I have to do?

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a power of attorney naming you this couple's attorney in fact, it will cost money and time to be appointed their conservator. I suggest that you consult the local "Council for the Aging" about the situation you are writing about after you have consulted with an attorney who practices elder law.

Unless there is some document in place naming you as the attorney in fact for this couple, it will take time for you to be placed as their conservator. If this couple has children, I would contact them as soon as possible about their situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption