How to avoid being put on child support?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to avoid being put on child support?

I have no problem paying child support. I just don’t like being forced to. There are times where I don;t have enough money but no matter what, I still give to my son. I just don’t want that when Ican’t make a certain payment I’m being penalized for it. The whole idea of child support is to respect your child and I care for him more than anything; I’m always seeing him and providing for him.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There really is no way to absolutely avoid this. If you  provide support and have a good relationship wiith the child's mother, then presumably, she will not take legal action to seek support; but if you do not pay at some point, or don't pay as much as she feels you should, she is entitled to seek child support--at which point the court will determine if you are paying enough and issue an enforceable order laying out how you have to pay.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption